SPIJKENISSE - It became a headache file for the Explosives Ordnance Disposal Service (EOD), the V-1 from World War II, underground at Spijkenisse. Even today it was not possible to defuse the bomb as a whole. It is safe enough to dump the bomb of about a thousand kilos in the sea at Stellendam tomorrow, so said the EOD.

Time and time again, the EOD ran into new problems. After the bomb was discovered at the beginning of this month in a meadow where the new housing estate De Akkers is to be built, started digging a well, around the bomb. But digging was very difficult. Each time the well filled up with water.

The V1 bomb in Spijkenisse and employees of the EOD. Foto: Marcel Antonisse, National Archives / Anefo

The job was also postponed for a week, because it took more time to prepare it. Normally, EOD takes a week to dismantle. In Spijkenisse it was more than two weeks. “And the regular team in Spijkenisse sometimes makes days of it 6 in the morning until late in the evening”, Major Busscher of the EOD said earlier to the AD.

In total, a land company has two thousand cubic meters of earth have to move. The well eventually had a diameter of 24 meter and wash 18 meters deep. Five pumps were to prevent the well from filling up again.

“The entire water household in the polder is now upset”, contractor Monshouwer informed Het Vrije Volk.

“We were afraid of collapses at work. The edges of the hole crumbled alarmingly quickly during the dismantling period. Very brave and handsome of those five people from the EOD, what they did there. ”

(Het Vrije Volk, 30-05-1980)
The construction site where the V1 bomb lay in Spijkenisse. Foto: Marcel Antonisse, National Archives / Anefo

The compliments went to Major Busscher, the team leader of the EOD. "We are happy that the job is done", he informed Het Vrije Volk. According to the paper assignment was simple, because there are only three different types of V-1 bombs.

But the working conditions, with the ever-rising water, didn't make it easy. "We were able to remove one of the infections", is Busscher's explanation. “We had to block the remaining two by packing tightly. Given the working conditions, we had no choice. ”

The rocket still contains 935 kilos of explosive. A mixture of water and kerosene has been removed from the rocket.

This article continues below this advertisement


During decommissioning (between 09:30 en 13:30) the people within a radius of 1200 meters leave their home. Van de 31 families in that immediate environment, only one family was needed by the police "somewhat to be helped.

In Het Vrije Volk, mayor Cees de Groen described van Spijkenisse the reaction of the population "exemplary and laconic". “We have during this exciting days can be a great togetherness among the residents ascertain. "

This autumn, another dismantling is planned at Voorne-Putten, but then in Hekelingen.

The tailpiece of the V1 bomb at Spijkenisse. Foto: Marcel Antonisse, National Archives / Anwith

The V-1 bombs were used by the Germans in World War II. The bombs had a rocket engine and were the first unmanned aerial vehicles. Some V-1 bombs were launched from Puttershoek Pernis. This bomb probably comes from Pernis.

The V-1 bombs regularly landed where they shouldn't be. But some did not explode, like this one at Spijkenisse.


Trouw – 09-05-1980 – Presumably V-1 discovered in Spijkenisse

Algemeen Dagblad – 20-05-1980 – V-1 Packed with explosives

Algemeen Dagblad – 23-05-1980 – The trickiest V-1

Het Vrije Volk – 29-05-1980 – Disassembly V1 started

Dutch Newspaper – 29-05-1980 – Bomb disassembled today

Het Vrije Volk – 30-05-1980 – This V-1 will remember us for a long time

Het Parool – 30-05-1980 – V-1 Spijkenisse is dumped in the sea

Author: Dave Datema

published: 28-05-2020

story number: